Affinity Plus Foundation Awards $40,000 in Scholarships to Support Minnesota Students With Unique Challenges and Potential
The Affinity Plus Foundation’s Annual Scholarship recognizes Affinity Plus members for their leadership, character, community building and pursuit of education. Scholarships are awarded to students in four categories:
- incoming freshman – students new to college and coming directly from high school;
- current students – undergraduate students, sophomores through seniors;
- graduate students – those pursuing an advanced degree beyond undergraduate studies;
- non-traditional students – individuals not attending college directly out of high school, or those who had a break in their education between years, such as working adults returning to school.
“Our 2019-2020 scholarship winners exemplify what it means to be both good students and strong community contributors,” said Kate Austad, Affinity Plus Foundation board chair. “They come from all across our state and are thriving in their respective academic journeys. We’re incredibly proud of these students and honored to award them with this scholarship.”
Applications are evaluated by external judges, all of whom are licensed Minnesota educators. The following eight individuals received $5,000 scholarships in the Foundation’s 2019-2020 Annual Scholarship program:
- Beth Simons – Bemidji, Minnesota
- Grace Erholtz – Baxter, Minnesota
- Neva Knoll – Ham Lake, Minnesota
- Emelia Hinrichs – Brainerd, Minnesota
- Kathleen Braaten – Duluth, Minnesota
- Owen Tonn – Apple Valley, Minnesota
- Emma Kuboushek – Shakopee, Minnesota
- Kudzwaishe Chisveto – Moorhead, Minnesota
Learn more about our scholarship winners.
About the Affinity Plus Foundation
Founded in 2000, the Affinity Plus Foundation is a 501(c)(3) serving Minnesota communities. The Foundation administers its own scholarship programs, awards grants to non-profit groups and schools, and supports financial education initiatives through partnerships, presentations and resources. The Foundation operates on funds generated from its annual events; from Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union; and from generous donations from community members who believe in and support the mission of the Foundation.