ST. PAUL, Minn. (Sept. 23, 2016) – Next month more than 25 other credit unions across Minnesota will spread kindness Monday, Oct. 10, during Plus It Forward Day.
More than 1,200 credit-union staff will spread out across 65 communities to assist nearly 22,000 Minnesotans by:
• Working with local non-profits, including Habitat for Humanity, to build housing for community members
• Doing park clean-up and maintenance
• Partnering with food banks and food shelves to pack food and provide meals for local residents
• Volunteering at local schools and nursing homes
• Building care packages for local homeless shelters
• Bringing coffee, treats and lunch to local police and firefighters
• Doing random gestures of thanks, giving and kindness including: writing notes and messages on sidewalks; taping quarters to parking meters; attaching coupon codes to RedBox rental stands; and much more.
“Plus It Forward Day is simple: We are intentional about doing good for other people,” said Affinity Plus president/CEO Dave Larson. “It’s a day that reminds us that being kind is a simple, but profound, act."
The collaboration of credit unions across the state of Minnesota is an outstanding illustration of the credit union movement, Larson added. “Cooperative financial institutions will come together to make an incredible impact on the communities that we serve. That is the credit-union difference.”
FEDERAL HOLIDAY BECOMES DAY OF KINDNESS
Affinity Plus founded Plus It Forward Day in 2013 as a day to scatter kindness in Minnesota communities across the state. Each year on Columbus Day, Affinity Plus’ 500+ employees dedicate eight hours to volunteerism.
Since 2013, Plus It Forward Day has elevated the core cooperative business principles of people helping people and active community engagement, Larson said.
In 2015, Plus It Forward Day evolved to include 14 credit unions in the day’s events – which has now grown to 25 credit unions in 2016.
“Plus It Forward Day is an extension of what credit unions do every day. But we believe our shared efforts have planted new seeds of kindness across Minnesota,” Larson said. “We’ve seen directly that givers keep on giving; kindness becomes their way of life. Recipients often are inspired and they are encouraged to share kindness as well.”
In several communities, Plus It Forward will bring together partners to collaborate on specific volunteer activities. Credit unions in Rochester, Faribault and Alexandria will work side-by-side on various initiatives, from serving senior citizens, thanking police departments and firefighters, and participating with large organizations such as Habitat for humanity.
Interested people, work teams or entire businesses are welcome to participate in Plus It Forward Day. Contact the Affinity Plus Marketing department at (800) 322-7228.