Monday, Oct. 9, more than 500 Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union employees across Minnesota will focus an entire day of community service on spreading kindness.
Affinity Plus holds Plus It Forward Day each year on Columbus Day (also known as Indigenous Peoples Day) so that employees can step away from their branches and offices and have an even-more direct impact on their communities.
“Plus It Forward Day has become an amazing circle of generosity and gratitude we’ve seen grow every year for five years,” said Dave Larson, Affinity Plus president/CEO. “Being kind is really quite simple and easy, but it can have profound reach and impact.
"Each year, our hope is that by scattering kindness, more kindness will result – whether you’re a giver who keeps on giving, or a receiver who wants to Plus It Forward and share kindness with someone else," Larson said.
This year, Affinity Plus will make a difference by:
- working with local non-profits, including Habitat for Humanity, to build housing for community members;
- joining together at the Minnesota State Veteran’s Hospital to host a luncheon and provide volunteer support in a sandwich-making service project and other activities;
- partnering with food banks and food shelves to pack food and provide meals for local residents;
- performing park clean-up and maintenance;
- volunteering at local schools and nursing homes;
- building care packages for local homeless shelters;
- bringing coffee, treats and lunch to local police and firefighters;
- doing random gestures of thanks, giving and kindness.
Affinity Plus founded Plus It Forward Day in 2013. Since that time, Plus It Forward Day has elevated its core cooperative business principles of people helping people and active community engagement.
Follow along with activities happening throughout the day on Affinity Plus’ Twitter and Instagram accounts (search for the #PlusItForward hashtag), or visit affinityplus.org or plusitforward.org.