Affinity Plus Partners with Second Harvest to Combat Hunger Across the State Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union recognized the need to give back by donating 30,000 meals to its partner of choice, Second Harvest Heartland. Second Harvest Heartland can leverage each dollar donated into 3 meals for hungry Minnesotans.
“We are experiencing a dramatic increase in requests for food due to the COVID-19 pandemic and ramping up our efforts to meet this growing need,” said Allison O’Toole, CEO of Second Harvest Heartland. “We cannot do this work alone and are so thankful for community partners like Affinity Plus for their donation of 30,000 meals to our community.”
In addition to the financial contribution, Affinity Plus will help raise awareness for the significant growing need food banks are experiencing at this time.
Second Harvest Heartland recognizes that the need for emergency food assistance will increase as communities and the economy are impacted by the coronavirus. To help during this time of uncertainty, Second Harvest Heartland has put a plan in place to help give back to those in need across Minnesota:
- Emergency food boxes. Second Harvest Heartland is providing emergency food boxes so those experiencing hunger can access needed meals while reducing their risk of exposure.
- Partnering with restaurants to provide prepared meals. There is a coordinated effort to distribute meals prepared by local restaurants through Loaves and Fishes—a free public dining program with 30 locations across Minnesota.
- Access to SNAP (food stamps). Second Harvest Heartland is working to ensure that everyone who is eligible for these benefits can access them.
- Extra measures to keep teams and food safe.
- Partnering with elected officials. Second Harvest Heartland is working to ensure every member of the community is prepared for and well fed during the outbreak.
How you can give back, too
In honor of International Day of Giving, Affinity Plus wants to make your MyPlus Rewards points donation go even further. Now through Friday, May 8, all MyPlus Rewards points donated to local MN Food Banks will be matched at 100% (up to $10,000 maximum donation) by Affinity Plus. Meaning every 1,250 points donated will provide 60 meals to families in need. Members can donate their MyPlus Rewards points quickly and easily by following these steps:
- Log into your Affinity Plus online banking system
- Scroll to the bottom of your main accounts page
- Select “Give to Charity”
- Choose “Second Harvest Heartland” – If you are outside of the Metro area, points will automatically be routed to your region’s food bank
- Add the amount of points you’d like to donate to your cart and proceed to checkout
Learn more about MyPlus Rewards points.
Affinity Plus reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any time.
How to get help if you need it
If you’re experiencing food insecurity or looking for help during uncertain times, please visit www.2harvest.org to see where you can find nearby emergency food shelves, prepared meals, and ongoing supplemental programs.